Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Pet Friendly Real Estate

DuncanPete Having pets when your home is on the market can be a very sensitive subject. Often because of the circumstances I have made myself available, or made arrangements with others in my office if I can't be available, for each showing. Sometimes it just is not possible to put your dog in a crate all day.

Recently I represented buyers in the purchase of a home. The sellers had a dog named Rocket. Poor dog, he was more like the first Sputnik, not a rocket! He is 17 years old, very deaf, probably not seeing as well as he used to, and to be honest, has a bladder control problem. The homeowners left Rocket loose in the house during the day, so if you had clients that were leery of dogs this might have been a problem. That is, if Rocket had been a bit younger.

While doing inspections, poor Rocket had an accident right in front of us on the rug. My clients were very understanding, Mrs. went under the sink to find something to spray on the carpet, and I searched for a leash to take the dog outside with. I didn't find his leash, but remembered I had a leash in my jeep. So, off we went, Rocket and I, for a saunter around the yard. He did all his business, and to be honest, looked quite relieved! I had called the listing agent and asked if she knew where his leash was, and she said no. I think she must have passed on poor Rocket's story to his owner, because the next time I came, the leash was on the front stairs.
The next 2 times I went to the home I took him out for a little walk. He really was happy. He even stood in front of a cabinet, nudging me, for his treats, which I found as soon as I opened the cabinet door.

Selling a home is hard enough on the human family, but animals suffer too. I know many times dogs are left to roam the home during the day. Sometimes they are caged, or removed for showings, but there are enough times I have seen dogs loose in the house. This can and will cost you a sale! Make provisions ahead of time, do not wait until the last minute. Also make sure your house does not smell like dog!

If you have cats, make sure you keep the litter box clean clean clean. Many buyers are very sensitive to the smell of animals, especially cats. For urine smells, try Natures Miracle or something similar. Do not try to mask the smell with air fresheners. You may want to consider hiring a professional if you are unable to remove the smell.

I am a pet friendly REALTOR. I have attended showings of my listings to take the dogs out of the house when my clients are at work. I make signs up and post on the doors if there are cats in the home that do not go outside.
Remember, pets are family members too! Make provisions for them when selling/showing a home.
I have bonded with Rocket. I wish him well in his new home. I have made yet one more 4 legged friend, and am proud of it.

If you are thinking of buying or selling a home in the greater New Milford area, please give me a call at 203.460.1775. I would be happy to discuss your options. If you prefer, send me an email, andrea@andreaswiedler.com.

I am a pet friendly REALTOR!

For information on moving with pets try these online articles:

Moving with Your Dog, by Kathy Diamond Davis

Moving Preparations for the Dog Owner

Your Cat and the Move, Soothing Post-Moving Stress by Gina Spadafori

The Art of Moving With Cats

No comments:

Post a Comment